Learn how to create picture books with contemporary market appeal on this intensive online lunchtime course for adult beginners with Claire Alexander. As both a professional author and illustrator, Claire is uniquely placed to teach both writing and illustration in this highly specialised area.
This course will inspire you with new ideas, introduce you to relevant literary and artistic techniques and equip you with the commercial knowledge to take your ideas further.
By the end of 10 weeks you will have a created your own compelling colour characters in settings and a storyboard in pencil which can be made into a dummy book to be presented to publishers.
What you'll do
- Learn how to write stories with convincing characters.
- Experiment with watercolour techniques and bring a character to life in colour.
- Explore narrative themes, structures and writing styles.
- Rough out a storyboard with compelling layouts.
- Learn how to make a book dummy to send to publishers.
- Gain an overview of the market and get advice on getting published.
- Receive personal feedback and group forum support.
- Receive resources on all aspects of picture book creation, from book length to approaching publishers, available exclusively to course participants.
What you'll need
- A4 rough and smooth watercolour paper
- A3 sketchpad
- 2B pencil
- Colouring pencils
- Pencil sharpener
- Watercolour set of 12 colours
- Watercolour brushes in 3 sizes
- Cup for water
- Glue stick
- 4 small envelopes
- Small Post-it notes
- Large Tupperware box lid
- Household sponge
- Kitchen roll or rag
- Table salt
- Wooden board
Live online classes will take place 12.30-2.30pm GMT on Wednesday lunchtimes from 12 January to 23 March 2022. No class during half term on 22 February.
No prior experience needed.
Need to know
Download and read the Essential Information for more information about what the course involves, how it works and what materials you’ll need, and the Guidance for Participants for further information.
About the tutor
Claire Alexander is an award-winning London-based author and illustrator with over 15 years’ experience creating picture books and over a decade’s experience teaching her bespoke Picture Book courses. She is currently working with Walker Books on two projects, as well as a follow up to her latest title A Little Bit Different. Recent collaborations include illustrations for Sean Taylor’s Humperdink Our Elephant Friend and The Snowbear. Other titles include The Best Bit of Daddy’s Day and Monkey and the Little One, Small Florence and Lucy and the Bully.
Read our Q&A with Claire.
100% of respondents rated Claire’s previous online course as excellent.
“Claire’s course is a superbly friendly and inspirational learning experience… It was such a friendly environment with all the students supporting each other, like a ‘Great British Bake Off’ for writer/illustrators!”
“Claire is amazing. The course was very well structured and I like alternating a writing week with a drawing week. I think there was a lot of information not only about how to make a book but also about the industry itself which is good.”
“Claire is a wonderful tutor. I was a bit worried that I would feel out of my depth as I haven't studied art or worked in a creative field, but she was very encouraging and supportive. The group of students were lovely and also very supportive.”
“The tutor was very informative and approachable. I would definitely like to attend more of her classes.”
“I enjoyed the online experience possibly more than an offline class.”
“I really appreciated the tutor's support and being able to communicate with other participants via the course Padlet.”
Gift this course
If you would like to gift a place on this course to someone, we can send you an e-ticket for them by email.
How it works
- Buy a ticket below.
- Forward your email booking confirmation to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with the name and email address of the person you will be gifting it to.
- We will send you a personalised e-ticket by email within 4 working days.
- You can choose to print the voucher or email it to your recipient.
Please note that we will need to receive your email by 5pm GMT on 16 December 2021 to send your e-ticket before 24 December 2021.
E-tickets for bookings made after this date will be sent out on 4 January 2022.